With it being a fresh New Year, a sprinkling of light and wisdom never goes amiss, especially as many of us will be hoping to make positive changes in our lives around this time of year. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know I’m partial to a good quote or saying and frequently share my favourites on my stories. I like to save the ones that resonate with me and refer back to them as and when. What I love so much about such sayings is they are little memorable parcels of wisdom that uplift and help to inject a bit of perspective. So, I thought I’d curate a list of my top 100. Feel free to save any that resonate with you and add them to your own quotes list. Enjoy!
1. “Your energy is your greatest currency”.
2. “Change your experience of life simply by changing what you pay attention to”.
3. “A deep acceptance that life is uncertain opens the door to a powerful way of living”.
4. “Don’t change yourself so that other people will like you. Be yourself so that the right people will love you”.
5. “Everything can be taken away from someone but one thing. The last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given circumstance. To choose one’s way”.
6. “Your bad days are part of your good life”.
7. “Take the risk or lose the chance”.
8. “Gratitude helps you fall in love with the life you already have”.
9. “Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t”.
10. “There is no quick pathway from smart to wise”.
11. “Invest time and energy where it feels right. Choose to focus on experiences that are life-sustaining and not life-draining”.
12. “Change is the only constant in life”.
13. “Forever is composed of nows”.
14. “We don’t see things as they are, we see things as WE are”.
15. “It took untold generations to get you where you are”.
16. “Say it, before it is too late”.
17. “Life isn’t as serious as the mind makes it out to be”.
18. “It wasn’t a waste of time if you learned something”.
19. “Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about”.
20. “There’s no time to be bored in a world this beautiful”.
21. “Exit gracefully. Heal and grow. Don’t look back”.
22. “You inspire people who pretend to not even see you”.
23. “Let go of the illusion that it could have been any different”.
24. “Why do you stay in prison when the door is wide open”.
25. “You’ll never have your whole life figured out. Your future will always be uncertain, unclear and unpredictable. And this is why life is so exciting because exploring is more fun than following a rigid plan. Explore forever”.
26. “There is power in kindness”.
27. “The happiest people I know are always evaluating and improving themselves. The unhappiest people are usually evaluating and judging others”.
28. “Not all storms come to disrupt your life. Some come to clear the path”.
29. “It’s okay to live a life that other people don’t understand”.
30. “Protect your peace”.
31. “How your life feels is more important than how it looks”.
32. “Look forward with hope not backwards with regret”.
33. “Doubting yourself is normal. Letting it stop you is a choice”.
34. “Power resides in all that can be done. Peace resides in accepting what can’t be done”.
35. “It’s not difficult, you’ve just never done it before. Engage your curiosity. Shift your perspective”.
36. “Be yourself and see who shows up”.
37. “Everything comes to you at the right time”.
38. “Your value stays constant whether it is seen or not”.
39. “Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most”.
40. “Not taking a risk, is a risk”.
41. “Most of us don’t spend enough time appreciating our wins, big or small”.
42. “Stop waiting to do the things you want to do. Now is the time”.
43. “Say yes to new adventures”.
42. “What you want exists. Don’t settle until you get it”.
43. “Asking directly for what you want is the best way to get it”.
44. “Don’t trade your authenticity for approval”.
45. “Wisdom is healed pain”.
46. “The only people who get upset about you setting boundaries are the ones who were benefiting from you having none”.
47. “Whatever purifies you is the right path”.
48. “Gut feelings are guardian angels”.
49. “Remain or evolve”.
50. “Go where you feel most alive”.
51. “If you betray yourself, if you say untrue things, if you act out a lie, you weaken your character”.
52. “If they don’t know you personally, don’t take it personally”.
53. “Your life is as good as your mindset”.
54. “The trick is to enjoy your life. Don’t wish away your days waiting for better ones ahead”.
55. “Slay the dragon in his lair before he comes to your village”.
56. “Honour yourself by knowing what you really want and live life accordingly”.
57. “We can’t blame anyone for walking all over us. We can only notice that we are not moving out of the way”.
58. “There’s a lot you can tell about someone by what they choose to see in you”.
59. “Success comes in many forms. Find the one that is right for you”.
60. “Notice the ‘ordinary’ miracles of everyday life”.
61. “The intimacy of being understood”.
62. “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life”.
63. “Discovering what you don’t want is as important as discovering what you do”.
64. “Act the way you wish other people acted”.
65. “Trust the next chapter because you are the author”.
66. “I forgive you – not for you but for me. Because hate is just another way of holding on. And you don’t belong here anymore”.
67. “Be humble, you could be wrong”.
68. “There is no certainty, there is only adventure”.
69. “Weirdness is why we adore our friends….Weirdness is what bonds us to our colleagues. Weirdness is what sets us apart, gets us hired. Be your unapologetically weird self. In fact, being weird may even find you the ultimate happiness”.
70. “The knowledge that you can handle anything that comes your way is the key to allowing yourself to take risks”.
71. “The world won’t always be kind to you but that doesn’t mean you aren’t strong enough to make things work in your favour”.
72. “Don’t be in such a rush to figure everything out. Embrace the unknown and let your life surprise you”.
73. “It’s easier to criticise than to create”.
74. “Respond to every call that excites your spirit”.
75. “Don’t ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion”.
76. “Success and failure are both difficult. Which one would you pick?”.
77. “No pressure, no diamonds”.
78. “You are somebody’s reason to smile”.
79. “We all have souls of different ages”.
80. “We’re all doing big things. Just taking different-sized steps”.
81. “As you start to walk on the way, the way appears”.
82. “You can live your whole life not realising that what you’re looking for is right in front of you”.
83. “Don’t lose the spark that makes you…you”.
84. “The people who want to be in your life will always find a way”.
85. “Fear is a green light to go not a signal to retreat”.
86. “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives”.
87. “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth”.
88. “It’s a slow process but quitting won’t speed it up”.
89. “Be bold enough to dream and brave enough to try”.
90. “You need to place one foot in what you have mastered and understood, and the other in what you are currently exploring and mastering”.
91. “Stop holding yourself back from what you really want”.
92. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known”.
93. “Eventually, everything connects”.
94. “Wait. Time will figure it out, if you haven’t already”.
95. “It is our choices… that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities”.
96. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray”.
97. “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us”.
98. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost”.
99. “Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think”.
100. “Better is coming”.
In the blink of an eye, a few months have passed since I last wrote and it's safe to say that I'm out of the routine of writing once again. So I'd make my return by sharing some snaps and recommendations from a recent long weekend in the Cotswolds. From the...
There are countless good reasons to visit Cornwall. It’s my favourite place in the world so I could easily spend all day extolling its virtues. But let’s get right to the good stuff. The food. If there’s one thing that’s guaranteed when in Cornwall, it’s that you’ll...
As I grew up in Cornwall, I’ve always had a soft spot for Celtic destinations. Among the famous Celtic lineup is Wales, a land of castles, rugged coastline and stunning mountainous national parks. During my time living up North, North Wales was one of my favourite...
I had the privilege of spending the weekend at Thornbury Castle in Bristol during the summer months. Staying in a castle was definitely something to cross off the bucket list, especially as I am someone who adores historic architecture. Dating back to the 1500s,...
Having lived up North (many moons ago), over the years I have been lucky enough to get a taste of what the region has to offer in the culinary department. Whether you are fortunate enough to call the North your home or are simply planning a trip there in the future, I...
My favourite place in the world will always be Cornwall. Admittedly, I am somewhat biassed having grown up there but even so, I am convinced this would be the case regardless. Cornwall brings a combination of coast, countryside and culture giving it unmissable...
We were up and out the door at the ungodly hour of 4am to head over to Ragland in South East Wales to cross something big off the bucket list, to fly in a hot air balloon. I have my brother to thank for this truly unforgettable experience as he had initially...
Cornwall is home to some of the country’s finest historically and horticulturally significant gardens. Who needs a holiday when Cornish gardens often bring New Zealand, Mediterranean and South African vibes to the fore, instantly transporting you to far-flung climes....
Though I grew up in Cornwall, the neighbouring county of Devon is very much uncharted territory for me and up until recently, I had yet to explore it in any meaningful detail. Though there has been a long-standing (albeit friendly) rivalry between the two counties,...
I feel like I am well and truly settled back in the UK now. It feels good to be immersed in greenery and nature once again having been away from these things for so long whilst out in Dubai. During the entirety of my time out there, I never got the chance to visit...
Bristol has got to be one of my favourite UK cities. Having spent a stint of time there in my early 20s, I have fond memories of it. Bristol is the largest city in the South West so it was always seen as a place of fascination and excitement for us small-village folk...
South Wales is one of the areas of the UK that I have yet to explore in any real detail. Now I am very much in the process of remedying that and loving what I have seen so far. Said to be one of the UK's most beautiful national parks, the Brecon Beacons are an...
Charicertised by its beautiful honey-coloured stone chocolate-box cottages and leafy surroundings, there is little wonder why Castle Combe has been dubbed ‘the prettiest village in England’. The overwhelmingly beautiful Cotswold village is nothing short of...
We had been so lucky with the weather on our recent visit to Scotland that it was decided that we would extend the trip a bit longer and head over to Northumberland National Park. I find that it is very often the case that the best memories are...
When it comes to my favourite UK cities, I am sure I am not alone in considering Edinburgh right up there at the top of the list. As a city, Edinburgh has all of the makings of a top-notch destination. It's sizable, has a rich history with picture-perfect historic...
Since visiting the South Downs National Park for the first time, it has become one of my favourite destinations in the UK. I was lucky enough to have my brother (who lives in the area) to show me around and it did not take me long to absolutely fall in love with it....
I have to admit that I only visited the Cotswolds for the first time relatively recently. It had always been on the list for me, especially as without exception, you always hear great things about it as a destination. Largely prompted by the pandemic like many others,...
When it comes to drinking and dining in London, it’s safe to say that you are spoilt for choice. It’s a city that I have spent a lot of time in, yet have hardly scratched the surface when it comes to its culinary offerings. That said, I thought I’d share some of my...
I had the pleasure of attending another SAME Forum session, hosted at the House of Commons by friend and chairman Khalid Nadeem, who kindly invited me. As you enter the House of Commons, you come through St Stephen’s Hall, which is incredibly impressive and has some...
Situated in the heart of Yorkshire, Harrogate is a little gem that offers all of the makings of a wonderful day out. Because of its modest size, you can make your way around most of what it has to offer in a day, without having to rush.Royal Pump Museum No trip to...